I love sweets, I really do. I too have the occasional craving for something decadent and rich like these chocolate brownies.
The best part is you can enjoy every bite, because these guys are made with 100% plant-based ingredients that are good for both your health and your waistline.
Instead of packing these delicious cakes with added sugars, I used mashed bananas which are my go-to sweetner in baking. They also add creaminess and flavor to your healthy desserts.
Instead of eggs, I like to add ground flax seeds. The flax powder is high in omega 3 fats, vitamin E and fiber which is always a plus.
I personally like to toss a tablespoon or two of coconut oil or coconut butter in the mix. Coconut oil is a great source of saturated plant fats which are really good for you as they have been shown to raise beneficial HDL cholesterol levels and lower the risk of heart disease. Like any other fat however, it should be used in moderation.
Coconut oil also gives these cakes more moisture and softness, and prevents the dough from sticking to the baking dish.
I know you are dying to try these yummy guys, so lets go ahead an make them. Trust me, it’s easy and quick.
I always try to keep my recipes simple as I know you are busy and don’t have much spare time on your hands. And if you do, you probably don’t want to spend it in the kitchen.
This is totally worth a few minutes of your day though. Promise.
Let’s start baking, shall we?
- 1½ cup gluten-free oat flour (I just blend rolled oats to make flour)
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1-2 Tbsp ground coffee
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2-3 Tbsp almond or coconut milk (for added moisture)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl: oat flour, flax, coffee, cacao, salt and baking soda
- Toss bananas, almond butter, sugar (if using), coconut oil and milk in a blender and mix until smooth
- Add to dry ingredients and stir everything well
- Pour mixture into a baking dish
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Cut into squares and enjoy on its own or with your daily cup o'Joe