Thank you for your interest in the 4-Day Ayurvedic Cleanse! Be sure to join our Facebook Forum for live updates and unlimited support.
Ayurveda is India’s 5,000 year old traditional system of medicine which translated from Sanskrit means “Science of Life” (“Ayu” means life and “Veda” is knowledge or science). It is considered the “mother of all healing systems.”
Ayurveda is the sister science of yoga and teaches us how to keep our body in a state of health and free from disease in order to move forward on the path to enlightenment.
Ayurveda says that our body’s natural state is one of balance and health. Most of us have shifted away from this state of balance because we are disconnected and oftentimes miss the signals of distress. Ayurveda believes that by creating an optimal environment that supports our body’s natural healing process, we can help restore its internal balance.
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to health that places great emphasis on prevention and encourages the maintenance of health through creating balance in one’s physical, emotional and spiritual life.
Reset Your Digestion & Cleanse Your Body
In Ayurvedic medicine, performing a gentle cleanse periodically, once per month or every three to six months, is considered a healing practice. The simple 4-Day Ayurvedic Cleanse resets our digestive system, rejuvenates the body, and helps to create sustainable weight loss and lasting energy. It is also suitable for pacifying and rebalancing each mind-body constitution (dosha)
4-Day Ayurvedic Cleanse
1. This four-day virtual program is designed to help you transition to a three-meals-a-day mono-diet consisting of homemade kichadi — an easy-to-digest meal prepared from a mixture of basmati rice and mung dahl beans — traditionally prepared in Ayurveda to stimulate the removal of toxins (ama).
To keep your meals a bit more colorful and anti-oxidant rich during this program, I too recommend that you add small amounts of cooked seasonal vegetables, low-glycemic fruits, leafy greens and juices as appropriate.
2. Once you enter your name and email below, you will receive a complete menu plan and specific instructions on what to do and eat each day of the program.
3. The primary goal of the 4-Day Ayurvedic Cleanse is to boost your detoxification system and set the stage for healthy, sustainable weight loss. The key to weight loss is training your body to start using stored fat as energy, which will stabilize your blood sugar levels and eliminate unhealthy cravings.
When you eat five to six times a day, you don’t give your digestive system time to rest. By gradually transitioning to eating regular meals, three times a day, with a three to four hour break in-between, you will train your body to tap into its stored energy reserves of fat. You want to get rid of excess fat not just to lose weight, but also because your fat cells provide storage space for molecules of suppressed emotion, fat-soluble toxins, preservatives, pollutants, pesticides and other cancer-causing chemicals.
4. At first, it may be challenging to make the transition towards eating three regular meals each day, especially if you are used to snacking all the time. This is why it is important to get support throughout the cleanse.
Starting on the first day, we will gradually transition to eating three meals a day at regular times. Throughout the course of the 4-day program, my recommendation is that you avoid dairy with the exception of ghee (clarified butter used in Ayurvedic medicine).
5. Coffee and all acid forming foods should be eliminated during the four days if possible. This includes red meat, alcohol, processed sugar of all kind, wheat products, dairy, soda and all carbonated drinks.
It is my recommendation to start a journal through this process to write about your experience. It may be helpful to keep a record of the foods you are eating in order to better see how your body responds to the meals each day.
6. The one thing I want to strongly emphasize is that you should not feel starved at any point during the cleanse. While going through physical detox, it is important to feel calm and relaxed and that your body is not in a perpetual state of emergency.
The reason why 90% of diets fail is that they are too restrictive. You force your body to go into a state of emergency through eliminating foods you naturally crave. This creates more stress which produces stress-fighting hormones such as cortisol. This in turn prompts your body to store fat and burn glucose for energy. The end result is that you gain more weight after the diet is over than you lost while on it. This is obviously not a sustainable and healthy way to live.
Enjoying what you eat is the first step to good health. The more you fight food, the less success you will have. Adopting new habits from a place of struggle and resentment will bring more of the same.
Recommended Daily Practices
In order to calm down your nervous system, quiet your mind and increase the benefits of this cleanse, you can perform the following simple practices each day.
– Upon waking up, use a tongue scraper to remove accumulated ama (toxins)
– As you rise every morning, move your body for 15-20 minutes. Walking, yoga, or swimming are all good choices, but nothing strenuous. You need to learn to slow down, even if only for four days. Light exercise will help to stimulate your lymphatic system (the drainage system of the body) without adding extra stress.
– Breathe. A simple breathing technique I often teach to my students is ujjayi (pronounced: oo-jai) pranayama: breathe in and out through your nose, counting to 4 on the inhales and 6 on the exhales. Slightly constrict the back of your throat to create an ocean sound with your breath. It will resemble the sound of beach waves and it has a very soothing effect. You can practice this simple technique for 5 minutes each morning upon waking up and at night before bedtime.
– Meditate sitting still for 10-15 minutes each morning to quiet your mind. If you mind tends to wonder too much, silently repeat the mantra Om with each inhale and exhale, or direct your attention to your breath, counting to 4 on the inhales and 6 on the exhales. Stay present even if your mind tries to carry you away.
– Sip hot/warm water throughout the day to detox and decongest your lymph system and aid in digestion. Make it a point to drink about half your weight in ounces each day. If plain water is too bland, add a squeeze of lemon, cucumber slices or mint leaves to it to give it some flavor. You can always drink some light herbal teas as well, such as mint, chamomile, fennel and ginger. Avoid caffeine.
– Dry-brush your skin in the morning before showering to enhance circulation, stimulate your lymphatic system and get rid of cellulite. All you need is a good old loofah. Brush your skin starting from your toes all the way up to your shoulders using circular motions on your joints and moving in upward direction on you long bones.
– Follow dry-brushing with self-massage (abhyanga) using organic sesame or coconut oil. This practice is very good for stimulating lymph flow, improved immunity and glowing skin! You can apply the oil by starting with a gentle circular massage at the top of your skull and move on to your arms, legs and torso. Use long strokes on the limbs and circular strokes on the joints. Massage the abdomen and chest in clockwise, circular motions.
– Perform Neti/Nasya 2-3 days per week at rising. Neti is an Ayurvedic word for nasal irrigation. Boil some water in a pot and add a small pinch of sea salt to it. Using a ceramic neti pot, pour the water through each nostril to clear up your nasal passages. Gently blow your nose in a soft tissue.
Use a q-tip to apply a small amount of ghee, sesame or coconut oil inside your nostrils to lubricate the mucosa. This technique will help moisturize the nasal passages preventing them from drying out and forming protective mucous, which is very common in the spring.
– Drink herbal teas before and after meals to aid in the detoxification process and improve digestion. I will provide you with some herbal tea recipe ideas each day of the program.
Please remember that each person is different and you may have a unique reaction to the foods I recommend in this cleanse. If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly or post on the forum.
You will have unlimited access to email and virtual support, as well as the Facebook forum to share your experiences and let everyone know how you feel.
Upon completion of the program, you will remain connected to the entire group through Facebook (if you choose to) and will get to keep all the program materials I have put together for you.
I hope you are excited to get on board! Sign up to receive the program content by entering your name and email below:
The information presented on purefoodsnutrition.com is intended for educational and informational purposes only. Although my ultimate goal is to inspire you to live more healthfully, any application of the material set forth on this website is at your (the reader’s) sole discretion and is your sole responsibility. I am not a physician, nor I claim to cure disease. You should always see your health care provider before administering any suggestions made here.