I have a little something sweet and tasty for you today. Consider it my holiday gift to you.
My yummy oatmeal protein bites will totally change the way you feel about healthy snacks. They will also add some much-needed nutrition to your diet when your body needs it most: during the holiday season.
During the holidays most of us tend to overeat, indulging in all kinds of sugary, highly processed foods. I caught myself mindlessly stuffing gingerbread cookies in my mouth the other day just because they were sitting right in front of me.
Sweet temptations are everywhere this time of year, which is why you have to take control of the situation and bake some healthy stuff instead. You can share it with everyone too!
I know this week is busy, filled with last-minute shopping lists, travel and holiday parties, but please don’t use this as an excuse to stop taking care of yourself. Taking good care of yourself is the only way to provide and care for the people around you!
Ok, moving on.
I made these crispy peanut butter protein bars with few ingredients I had laying around in my kitchen pantry. I was in a mood for something sweet and crunchy, and instead of reaching for a bag of chocolate-covered potato chips (who even came up with this stuff!!), I decided to bake my own special treat, which also happens to be healthy. Totally my style.
I grabbed a container of gluten-free oats, a jar of organic peanut butter and raw coconut flakes and went to work. This is a very simple recipe to put together, but it still tastes delicious and is a great little snack to have around in those moments of sweet temptation when you try your best to be good.
The peanut butter coconut bites are high in protein, heart-healthy fats and dietary fiber. They are also a great source of manganese, copper, folate and vitamins E, B1 and B3, all super important for healthy cell metabolism and growth.
These guys are a wonderful sweet treat everyone in your home will enjoy ♥ Happy holidays!!
- 1 ½ cup rolled (gluten-free) oats
- 2 Tbsp organic, unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup pitted dates or ½ cup maple syrup*
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup raw chocolate nibs (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients (rolled oats, sea salt and chocolate nibs, if using)
- Place peanut butter, banana, vanilla extract and dates (or maple syrup) in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well until crumbly dough starts to form
- Make 2” balls with your hands and roll them in the raw coconut flakes until they are well coated
- Set on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 min
- Set on a cooling rack for a few minutes
- Enjoy this crispy little snack!