I love crackers! I love them with almond butter; I love crackers dipped in tahini sauce. I love them with hummus, or maybe with a little bit of fresh avocado on top. You get the idea.
I don’t know why I don’t make these little treats more often. They are so easy and fun to bake. This batch literally took me 15 min to put together, and that was 15 minutes very well spent!
Lately, I’ve been craving crunchy, salty foods. Maybe because it is summer and my body needs something light and cooling.
As I didn’t want to reach out for the bag of tortilla chips sitting in my kitchen pantry, I decided to make these crackers. They are so much healthier, nutritious and filling and an excellent little snack to have on hand when you get those mid-afternoon cravings.
These little crackers are very tasty, but don’t let that fool you. They are also slimming for your waistline, easy on your digestion, and one hundred percent allergy-free (no gluten, no dairy and absolutely no sugar!).
This yummy snack provides you with a great amount of fiber, essential minerals that support healthy cell metabolism, like calcium, manganese, magnesium, zinc, as well as mono and poly-unsaturated (healthy) fats. Whoa!
This recipe consists of only a few very simple ingredients you should have no problem finding in your pantry. You know how much I love simplicity, especially in the kitchen!
I find that most recipes out there are too complicated and ask for many, oftentimes unnecessary, ingredients. The shorter the list, the better the outcome. Whole foods should be just that — whole. They don’t need a lot of additives and preparation.
You can eat these crackers with your fresh green leafy salad, instead of bread, or topped with some freshly chopped avo, olives and herbs. As always, a glass of vino is a great idea 🙂
Hope you enjoy these crunchy little treats and happy baking!
p.s. Please leave me a comment to let me know how you like this recipe ♥
- 1½ cup raw flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free flour (I use millet or oat)*
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds (optional)**
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper (if you like things spicy)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 cup water
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- In a food processor or coffee grinder, blend 1 cup of flax seeds until they turn into flour (you can just buy ground flax seeds if easier).
- Add the rest (1/2 cup) of whole flax seeds to the ground flaxseed and mix in all other ingredients to form dough
- On a pan or a piece of aluminum foil, spread the cracker dough thinly (I use my hands, but you can use a rolling pin if you have one)
- Cut the dough into 2" squares and stick in the oven for 20 min
- Let the crackers cool off before eating. They will be much crispier if you let them sit out for awhile
**You can get creative and use any other seeds of choice: sunflower, pumpkin, or chia