I am a big fan of quinoa! This little grain is a nutrition powerhouse as well as a delicious superfood! It is also gluten-free and a perfect plant-based source of protein.
The protein in quinoa is “complete” which means that it contains all essential amino acids. Quinoa is also high in fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. Whoa!
In my nutrition practice, I coach clients on how to prepare more nutritionally balanced meals so they can have lasting energy throughout the day, lose and maintain a healthy weight and get rid of their sugar cravings.
The easiest way to do this is to eat a variety of unprocessed foods: colorful vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. Lean animal protein is ok in moderation but try to obtain most of your fats from plant-based sources like avocados, olive and coconut oil.
Today, I want to share with you one of my most favorite plant-based, protein loaded recipes featuring quinoa. This recipe is easy to prepare and can be easily made on the go, especially if you have previous experience rolling up a Mexican burrito. It is well balanced, delicious and packed full of nutrition and zesty flavors.
Give it a try and leave me a comment to let me know how you like it!
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- ¼ red onion (diced)
- ½ cup cashew cheese*
- 2-3 stalks of kale (stems removed and leaves shredded into strips)
- 1 pitted avocado
- a handful of parsley or cilantro
- 4 whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas
- Start by wiping up your cashew cheese (it takes 5 minutes!)*
- Spread out the tortillas on a flat surface (you can stick them in the oven or microwave for a few minutes prior to warm them up if desired).
- Add a heaping tablespoon of cooked quinoa, 1-2 tsp of cashew cheese, a bunch of greens, red onions and chopped up avocado.
- Wrap your burrito making sure that it’s not too full or the tortillas may rip open.
- Eat while fresh!
- *To make cashew cheese:
- soak 1 cup of raw, unsalted cashews in water for 2-4 hours. Drain water and add soaked cashews to food processor along with 1 clove peeled garlic, 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 2-3 Tbsp of water, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth and store in the fridge if not using right away.