Coffee has always been my weakness. I love its aroma, its bitterness and bold flavors. Truth be told, I never start my morning without a steaming cup o’Joe.
I know that many of you will disapprove but hey, no one is perfect! Plus, I believe that coffee has some health benefits when consumed in moderation ♥
For starters, drinking coffee has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity due to the high contents of the minerals magnesium and chromium, which stimulate the uptake of insulin in the cells. This may help prevent the occurrence of type two diabetes.
Coffee is a great source of antioxidants and has been linked to lower risks certain inflammatory conditions, such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
The morning after Christmas, I felt so drained from the festivities of the week, from all the food and egg-nog drinking that I decided to take a full day of rest and relaxation.
As I reached for my cup of coffee, as I do every morning upon waking up, I decided to turn my coffee drinking into a fun and nourishing experience.
This homemade chocolate hazelnut coffee drink is rich in flavor, not to mention it tastes absolutely delicious!
The smoothie has a creamy texture and a whole lot of nutrition all packed in a jar.
This recipe makes about two 12 oz servings, so you can share this deliciousness with a loved one, or a friend ♥
Try this health yummy concoction for yourself. It will not only give you a nice boost of energy, but will also add some health-sustaining nutrients to your breakfast meal, such as magnesium, potassium, selenium and vitamin E.
Enjoy every sip ♥
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee (or two espresso shots)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp raw honey*
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp raw cacao nibs (for garnish)
- Soak hazelnuts in water for about an hour to soften and then blend with the water to make hazelnut milk (you can use a nut milk bag or a cheese cloth to strain and discard the pulp).
- Blend hazelnut milk with the rest of the ingredients until smooth. Add more coffee or water if needed
- Garnish with raw cacao nibs if using
- Drink right away or store in the refrigerator