Summer always puts a smile on my face. I love the sunshine, the ocean breeze and scent of flowers. But most of all, I love the abundance of fresh, locally grown fruits and veggies. I enjoy visiting my local farmers’ market this time of year. I too have a small home garden where every spring I plant a bed of herbs, a some juicy cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and kale.
Growing my own food is so rewarding, and gardening is one of my favorite activities. It’s beautiful watching my little tomatoes grow and ripen.
The recipe I have in store for you today is one of my all time summer favorites. I love everything about it and I am sure you will too! It is delicious and full of green nutrition and flavor. It’s the perfect dish for your outdoor picnic table or BBQ party ♥
Avocados are a superfood that you should add to your menu on a regular basis. They are rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to improve cardiovascular function. Their fat is similar to that of olives (oleic acid), which are known to be a healthful part of the Mediterranean diet, mostly in the form of olive oil.
Avocados are also a great source of potassium, copper, folate and vitamins E and K. Adding avocados to your smoothies, leafy green salads, or any other vegetable dishes is a great way to ensure the absorption of your fat-soluble antioxidant nutrients (like carotenes) as well as to add some delicious and healthy fats to your diet.
This homemade guacamole recipe is the best thing you have ever tried. Guarnteed. It is made with pure, locally grown ingredients, and it is also packed full of flavorful spices and herbs, like garlic, scallions, ginger root and fresh basil. Enjoy!
- 1½ fresh avocado (peeled and pitted)
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 fresh scallion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1" ginger root (optional)
- ¼ jalapeño pepper
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Chop up the garlic clove, jalapeño paper and scallions into small pieces and place in a guacamole molcajete (grinding bowl)
- Cut basil leaves into pieces and add to the bowl
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Cut into pieces and add to the bowl
- Grind the ginger root if using and add to the other ingredients along with sea salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice
- Grind all ingredient with a pestle until you achieve the desired consistency