Fall is just around the corner and it’s time to make fruit jam!
As much as I don’t want to say goodbye to endless days of sunshine, sea breeze and beach fun, I have to make peace with the fact that summer will once again come to an end. On the upside, the fall season in New England is gorgeous with its beautiful foliage, crisp ocean air and brightly colored farmers’ market stands. I am looking forward to apple picking & pumpkin pie baking.
Today, in the spirit of the fall season, I will share with you one of my delicious recipes perfect for this time of year. Get excited, because the berry chia jam is a real yummy treat and I am sure it will become a favorite of yours as soon as you try it — it is sweet and decadent, yet very nutritious (goes without saying).
I found a version of this recipe online a few months ago as I was searching for creative ways to make use of all the berries I bought at the market. I have been obsessed since.
Blackberries are a superfood as they are low in calories, but very rich in antioxidants, vitamins C and flavonoids, as well as dietary fiber. These little fruits are ripe and bursting with sweetness right about now, so it is the perfect time to eat them. For this recipe I used blueberries and blackberries, but you can choose only one, or better yet, create your own medley.
You can go with any berries of choice or other fruits you’d like to try. I am thinking using figs in this recipe may also be a great idea ♥ Yummy!
By now you know how much I love chia seeds too. Tossing a handful into your homemade fruit jam is a creative way to incorporate these little fellas into your diet and get a good dose of health-boosting omega 3’s!
Chia seeds are hydrophilic, which means they love water. In fact, they absorb up to ten times their weight in water forming jello. This makes them great to use as a thickening agent in all of your dessert recipes: check out this chia pudding, it’s amazing!
The homemade berry chia jam is a true winner in my book when it comes to healthy sweet treats. It is very simple and easy to make and consists of only three pure ingredients: sweet berries, raw coconut sugar and chia seeds. That’s it!
You can literally enjoy this deliciousness in as little as 10 minutes if you go in to make it right now ♥ So, strap on an apron and let’s jam!
- 1 pound (16 oz) berries of choice (blueberries, blackberries or strawberries)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ⅓ cup maple syrup, coconut sugar or any other healthy sweetener of choice*
- Set a pan over medium heat and add your fruit and sweetener of choice
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat a little to allow the mixture to simmer for about 10-15 min
- Stir occasionally to avoid having the fruit stick to the pan
- Add chia seeds and cook for another 5 min while stirring the jam to make it more saucy
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool for about 5-10 min
- Place in a jar and refrigerate (it will last in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks, although it is so good that you may want to eat all of it right away!)