I really enjoy fall: the chill, crisp air, beautiful colors and seasonal root veggies which brighten my plate this time of year.
If you’ve followed my blog for some time, you know that I like to eat. I don’t believe in diets and my favorite foods always involve chocolate of some sort. I never stop searching for healthy ways to enjoy my favorite sweets and to create yummy recipes I can share with you.
Since it is officially pumpkin season, I have been on a mission to find fun and healthy recipes featuring this sweet veggie. I thought it would be great to combine pumpkin with chocolate, so I decided to put my creative mind to use and whip up these sweet brownies. I swapped many of the traditional brownie ingredients, like eggs, sugar and butter for healthier, less processed ones and the result was lip-smacking delicious!
I promise you, this recipe is to die for and it’s totally worth getting your hands and kitchen dirty ♥
Pumpkins are a super nutritious vegetable and widely available in the fall. Go to any grocery store or farmers’ market and you will find at least five different varieties of pumpkins waiting to be pureed, sautéed, roasted or baked into pie.
Pumpkins are very low in calories, yet incredibly rich in powerful antioxidants, such as lutein and beta-carotene which gives them their bright orange color. They are a great source of vitamins A, C and E, calcium, potassium (much higher than bananas actually) and iron.
These brownies are no-doubt my new favorite sweet treat for the fall season. They simply melt in your mouth and are bursting with flavor. What’s more, they are vegan, gluten-free and 100% guilt-free…you don’t need to sweat for hours on the treadmill to burn these babies off. And did I mention that everyone will fall in love with you when they try this recipe? That’s what I call magic brownies!
Bon appétit, my friends ♥
- 1.5 cup oat flour (blend 1 c gluten-free oats in a blender to make flour)
- ½ cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 cup pumpkin puree or 1 large boiled sweet potato
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2-3 Tbsp melted coconut oil/coconut butter
- 2 tbsp almond or light coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup (optional)
- 1 Tbs raw chocolate nibs
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- Banana Ice-cream:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree or cooked sweet potato (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, cacao, baking soda and powder, sea salt and choco nibs)
- Blend all wet ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth (banana, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, maple syrup if using and nut milk)
- Mix wet and dry ingredients and pour the mixture into a baking pan
- Bake for 20 min
- Ice-cream: Blend all ingredients until smooth and serve immediately with your brownies